[E&E seminars] Commissioner Suedeen Kelly, FERC [Mon Dec 7 5:00-6:00pm]

Karen Gibson kgibson at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 4 10:31:34 EST 2009

[Mon Dec 7 5:00-6:00pm] MIT Energy Club Lecture Series: Commissioner
Suedeen Kelly, FERC [E51-395]

Commissioner Suedeen Kelly from the Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission will share her perspectives on the following topics:

*** Getting Renewables to the Electricity Marketplace
- Are we going to build more renewable generation in America?
- If so, are we going to change the way we regulate transmission in
order to do it?
- Transmission planning going to the government?
- Siting authority transfer from the state to the FERC?
- Broad cost allocation to pay for long lines?

*** The Smart Grid
- Will smartgridding be part of our future?
- What is the government doing to lead us there?
- Is it the "right" thing to do?
- Will it work?

Speaker Bio:
Suedeen G. Kelly is a Commissioner at the Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission, who has served since November 2003. In December 2004, she
was confirmed to a second term that expires June 30, 2009. Previously
she was a Professor of Law at the University of New Mexico School of
Law, where she taught energy law, public utility regulation,
administrative law and legislative process. She also worked with the
law firm of Modrall, Sperling, Roehl, Harris & Sisk in Albuquerque
from 2000 through 2003 and the law firm of Sheehan, Sheehan, and
Stelzner from 1992 through 1999. In 2000, Ms. Kelly served as counsel
to the California Independent System Operator. In 1999, she worked as
a Legislative Aide to U.S. Senator Jeff Bingaman.

Prior to joining the faculty of the Law School, Ms. Kelly served as
Chair of the New Mexico Public Service Commission, which regulated New
Mexico's electric, gas and water utilities. She had been a lawyer in
the Office of the New Mexico Attorney General and with the New Mexico
firm of Leubben, Hughes & Kelly. She also worked in Washington, DC,
for the Natural Resources Defense Council and Ruckelshaus, Beveridge,
Fairbanks & Diamond.

Open to: The general public.
Contact: Tim Heidel, heidel at mit.edu