[E&E seminars] Student, faculty, and staff support for MIT climate commitment

kate parrot kparrot at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 19 12:50:53 EST 2007

Dear all,

I invite you to sign a letter to President
Hockfield that outlines a vision for an MIT
greenhouse gas reduction strategy.

We will be collecting signatures through Monday January 22 at 2 PM.

We are on a short timeline because we understand
there is talk right now in the President's office
about a GHG strategy and we want to get our
voices into the conversation asap. We will also
be engaging students, faculty, and staff more
widely in the longer term.

If you are a student, to view and sign the
letter, go to:
http://www.petitiononline.com/ghgzero/petition.html

If you are faculty or staff, go to:
http://www.petitiononline.com/facstaff/petition.html

(It's not really a petition, but this just makes
it easy on our end to manage the signature
process)

Thanks!

Kate Parrot
PhD, Sloan

Text of letter:

January 22, 2007

Dear President Hockfield,

We are writing to ask you to implement an MIT
greenhouse gas emissions reduction commitment and
a community-wide Carbon Neutral Challenge.

We believe that it is time for MIT to publicly
commit to a medium-term goal of greenhouse gas
(GHG) emissions reduction and adopt a long-term
vision of carbon neutrality. We belong to the
next generation that will inherit the legacy of
global warming, and we ask you to act now. We
offer several justifications for our request, and
we propose a strategy that we believe achieves
significant GHG reductions, addresses financial
risk and drives long-term energy cost savings,
while empowering and mobilizing the MIT community.

Justifications for an MIT Climate Commitment

We are already seeing the effects of climate
change. Abnormally warm weather,  evidence about
rapidly melting glaciers,  and sea level rise
suggest that global climate change is already
happening. The MIT campus and City of Cambridge
sit roughly 10 feet above sea level, well below
predictions of sea level rise in the coming
decades. This stark fact should inspire us to do
our part to mitigate the effects of climate
change.
Walking the Talk: The mission of the MIT Energy
Initiative includes "enhancing campus operations"
and incorporates a "Walking the Talk" component.
Walking the talk on energy policy and practice
for the 21st century is a powerful way to
communicate MIT's energy leadership to students,
faculty, staff, alumni, and the general public.
Inaction invites disappointment, charges of
hypocrisy, and missed opportunities for MIT to
demonstrate our capacity for bold and timely
action.
MIT's Culture: MIT's talented community harbors a
tremendous passion for working to reduce our
carbon footprint. We love to crack tough
problems, and would relish the opportunity to
tackle one of the biggest challenges our
generation faces.  Establishing reduction goals
will catalyze community action.
Global Leadership: A number of universities,
including Yale, Cornell, University of
California, and Tufts have already made
greenhouse gas reduction commitments and embarked
on aggressive reduction campaigns.  We want to be
proud to say that our university is one of the
leading institutions addressing the challenge of
global warming.
Financial: Economic risks from high-carbon
intensity already exist and will continue to
grow. Energy prices are volatile and appear
likely to increase as global demand for energy
increases. Investing in GHG reductions now will
pay large dividends in reduced risk exposure to
rising fossil fuel prices. Most GHG reduction
approaches focus on energy efficiency and
conservation, thus offering MIT significant
long-term energy cost savings opportunities.
Your own words inspire this letter:
The power of leading by example is important to
MIT and for facilitating changeŠWhile the Energy
Initiative itself and the Energy Research Council
is envisioned primarily as research and education
focused, I very much hope that we will also lead
by example and develop programs, adopt
technologies, and innovate approaches that model
sustainable energy practices on our campus.
- President Susan Hockfield, November 14, 2005

MIT Strategy for Meeting the Global Climate Challenge
We ask you to consider a two-part strategy for
addressing GHG emissions: a floor-level
commitment to emissions reduction and a Carbon
Neutral Challenge to the MIT community.

1) Floor-level commitment to GHG emissions reductions
An MIT Greenhouse Gas Reduction Initiative White
Paper, prepared by the Environmental Programs
Office and the Department of Facilities, and
submitted to the MIT Energy Research Council in
2006, proposed a reasonable GHG commitment of
1990 emissions by 2015 and 10% below 1990
emissions by 2020. We support this target.

This level of commitment will place the Institute
on a responsible path, one that is roughly on par
with the Kyoto Protocol and the commitments of
other major universities and corporations.
Although this goal will require hard work, the
Energy Research Council White Paper indicates
that sufficient reductions can be made through
energy conservation, cogeneration expansion,
energy efficient new construction, and renewable
power investments. Most of these efforts could be
revenue-positive investments, according to the
White Paper.

2) Carbon Neutral Challenge
We propose that you issue to the MIT community a
Carbon Neutral Challenge, which would challenge
institutional stakeholders to achieve carbon
neutrality as quickly as possible. No binding
dates would be set for a carbon neutral campus,
but we would revisit the Challenge every five
years to evaluate our progress and adjust our
strategy to achieve a long-term vision of carbon
neutrality.

A Carbon Neutral Challenge will help transform
the MIT campus into a living laboratory for how
to address one of the most important challenges
of the 21st century. The Challenge would
stimulate the MIT community to employ our talent,
passion, and technical knowledge to far surpass
the responsible floor-level commitment you have
set out in the first phase of the MIT GHG
strategy.

Our experience with the student-led MIT Generator
(http://sustainability.mit.edu/Generator)
demonstrates that students, faculty, and staff
are eager to collaborate to realize energy
savings on campus. The Carbon Neutral Challenge
would catalyze even more exciting campus-based
educational, research, and practice
opportunities. Falling short of the high
aspiration of carbon neutrality will be viewed as
a noble effort, not as a failure. If and when we
do achieve this high-level, long-term vision, it
will be a momentous accomplishment setting
international precedent and demonstrating MIT's
brilliance, ingenuity, and global leadership.

Mechanisms for achieving GHG emissions reductions
A. Harness and Expand Existing Efforts
Both the floor goal and the challenge goal could
be supported by and integrated into the Energy
Initiative, the student-led MIT Generator, and a
significant funding mechanism, such as an MIT
Energy Efficiency Revolving Loan Fund. A similar
funding mechanism at Harvard, the $12 million
dollar Harvard Green Campus Loan Fund has
achieved a stunning 28% return on investment
(ROI) for its collective projects.

B. Dialogue-to-Action
The floor goal and the carbon neutral challenge
and the mechanisms supporting both could be
developed in a Town Hall dialogue process this
Spring with administrators, students, faculty,
and staff, and be ready to announce by Earth Day
this year, April 26th.

The Vision
The combination of a pragmatic floor-level
commitment and an MIT Carbon Neutral Challenge
would transform MIT into a living laboratory for
energy policy and action in the 21st century-a
community-wide adventure into learning at the
frontier of teamwork and innovation. We would be
proud to belong to an institution of higher
education with such dedication to the global
climate change problem, and such a bold and
exciting vision for addressing it.

Sincerely,

Concerned MIT Students and Student Organizations

cc: L. Rafael Reif, MIT Provost
Phillip Clay, MIT Chancellor
Sherwin Greenblatt, Interim Executive Vice President
Terry Stone, Incoming Executive Vice President
Ernest Moniz, Chair, Energy Council
Robert Armstrong, Chair, Energy Council
Leon Glicksman, Chair, Energy Council Walk the Talk Task Force
Angela Belcher, Chair, Energy Council Education Task Force
Kirk Kolenbrander, VP for Institute Affairs and
Secretary of the MIT Corporation

--

Kate W. Parrot
PhD Candidate