[E&E seminars] AGS Annual Meeting 2008 - Save the Date

Karen Gibson kgibson at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 7 16:21:50 EDT 2007

AGS Annual Meeting 2008
28 - 31 January | Cambridge, MA USA

Designing Pathways for a Sustainable World:
at Scale, in Time, and for All

Hosted by MIT

A Call to Action: Discussions about climate change and sustainability
(at least in the US) have moved rapidly from "nothing is wrong so we
need to do nothing" to "everything is so wrong that there is nothing
we can do." But it is not too late. Instead, it is time to deploy the
knowledge we have - or will soon have - to pursue sustainable pathways.

The 2008 AGS Annual Meeting builds upon work at the last annual
meeting developing "pathways" as a framework for advancing near-term
transitions to sustainability. We have designed this year’s meeting
to move us from sustainability as "something we study" to "something
we study and do," both as the AGS and collectively. Pathways design
must be "at Scale, in Time, and for All" in order to respond to the
urgent need for substantive action on climate, energy, food, and
water challenges in both developed and developing regions of the world.

Effective, substantive action requires that universities - who build
knowledge - work closely with business and society - who implement
and adapt. Thus, this meeting aims to engage leaders in industry,
government, and civil society in building well-informed, action-
oriented partnerships. Through such collaborations, university
scientists, social scientists, and engineers can both learn from, and
provide insight to, policy makers in industry and government such
that sustainability can be realized "at scale, in time, and for all."

Key dates for the conference:

Conference dates: 28 - 31 January 2008
Submission deadline for Poster Abstracts: 15 October 2007
Registration: opens online 15 August 2007

All participants are invited to submit poster abstracts relevant to
the topics of the meeting and the AGS Flagship Programs. Poster
abstracts will be reviewed and selected based on their relevance,
significance, and quality. See the conference website for details (15
August 2007).

The 2008 AGS Annual Meeting Web Site
http://web.mit.edu/agsam08 (available 15 August 2007)

We hope you will join us!

David H. Marks
Morton '42 and Claire Goulder Family Professor of
Engineering Systems and Civil and Environmental Engineering

The Alliance for Global Sustainability (AGS) is a network of
international science and technology-based universities -
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA, USA), Swiss
Federal Institute of Technology (Zurich, Switzerland), The University
of Tokyo (Tokyo, Japan), and Chalmers University of Technology
(Göteborg, Sweden) - committed to joint research, education, and
outreach to address the issues around global sustainability. TheAGS
was created a decade ago to help understand the complex issues that
lie at the intersection of environmental, economic, and social goals.
http://globalsustainability.org