[Env seminars] Technology Lecture Series @ MIT, April 27, 2005, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.

Jacqueline Donoghue jellyfin at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 6 10:31:03 EDT 2005

>Technology Executives Lecture Series @ MIT
>
>April 27, 2005
>4:00p.m. - 5:30p.m.
>Reception to follow the formal presentation at 5:00
>
>Tang Center, Wong Auditorium (Bdg. E51)
>
>John Darley
>Director Technology , Shell International Exploration & Production
>
>"Shaping Energy Technology Through Corporate - Academic Partnership"
>John Darley
>Abstract
>
>The energy industry is in the midst of a challenging transition to
>an exciting and growing future.  World economic development, spurred
>by the societal advances of developing nations, is stimulating an
>ever-increasing demand for energy.   Development of our conventional
>petroleum reserves and alternative energy technologies must both be
>accomplished in a sustainable, environmentally friendly way.
>Technology is the heart of the solution.  Effective technological
>collaboration between academia and industry can spawn the
>innovations necessary to meet these needs.
>
>The energy industry, and particularly Shell, has a rich history of
>technological innovation.  As lead users, we have driven advances in
>sensing, computing, naval architecture, robotics, material science,
>and subsea construction.  We have managed to find ways to deliver
>resources found miles beneath the oceans at prices below the cost of
>bottled water.  But, as the world's demands increase, challenges
>remain and grow.
>
>The world of academia, and particularly MIT, offers a rich suite of
>knowledge and solutions across a very diverse set of industries and
>disciplines.  Close interaction between corporate scientists with
>deep knowledge of the challenges, and academic scientists with deep
>knowledge about novel potential solution paths, represents a
>mutually beneficial opportunity to find new and productive pathways
>through the coming energy transition.
>
>Bio:
>John was appointed to Director of Technology in March 2001.
>
>He has global responsibility for Shell's upstream technology
>organization, providing and supporting differentiating technologies
>to Shell's Exploration and Production business.
>
>This includes Technology Applications and Research, Deepwater
>Services, commercial Technology Ventures, and Skills and Competence
>Development.
>
>John has worked for Shell in a range of international postings since
>1971. Assignments as a reservoir engineer in the Middle East, Europe
>and Latin America were followed by positions in business
>co-ordination and in strategic and business planning.
>
>He was General Manager of Shell's Joint Venture production company
>in Syria. He was then Managing Director of Brunei Shell Petroleum
>and Chief Executive of Brunei LNG from 1997 to the end of 2000.
>
>Born in York, England in 1948, John studied Mathematics and
>Petroleum Reservoir Engineering at Imperial College, London.

ILP Contact:
Cynthia C. Bloomquist '70
Associate Director, Office of Corporate Relations
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
292 Main St, E38-410, Cambridge, MA 02142
1-617-253-8982; fax 1-617-253-0002 or 1-617-258-0142
Assistant: Annmarie Donovan, Donovan at ilp.mit.edu or 1-617-253-0407
http://ilp-www.mit.edu/

--
Jacqueline A. Donoghue