[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Calculation of ice-ocean freshwater flux from ECCO v4r4

Fenty, Ian G (US 329C) ian.fenty at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 17 11:55:28 EDT 2021

Alex,

Calculating the salinity, salt, and freshwater budgets in ECCO can be confusing and it doesn't help that several variables have had ambiguous (and sometimes even contradictory) descriptions.  We recently made an effort to improve the variable descriptions, and those will roll out soon in the newest version of the ECCO V4r4 NetCDF files and its accompanying user guide.

In the interim, let me point you to this file which contains all of the updated variable descriptions: https://github.com/ECCO-GROUP/ECCO-ACCESS/blob/master/metadata/ECCOv4r4_metadata_json/ECCOv4r4_variable_metadata.json

In that structured json file you will find entries for all ECCO variables.  Here is a selection for the freshwater and salinity flux terms:

   "name": "oceFWflx",
      "long_name": "Net freshwater flux into the ocean",
      "units": "kg m-2 s-1",
      "standard_name": "water_flux_into_sea_water",
      "comments_1": "Net freshwater flux into the ocean including contributions from runoff, evaporation, precipitation, and mass exchange with sea-ice due to melting and freezing and snow melting",
      "comments_2": "Note: oceFWflx does NOT include freshwater fluxes between the atmosphere and sea-ice and snow. The variable 'SIatmFW' accounts for freshwater fluxes out of the combined ocean+sea-ice+snow reservoir.",
      "direction": ">0 decreases salinity (SALT)",

   "name": "SFLUX",
      "long_name": "Rate of change of total ocean salinity per m2 accounting for mass fluxes.",
      "units": "g m-2 s-1",
      "comments_1": "The rate of change of total ocean salinity due to freshwater fluxes across the liquid surface and the addition or removal of mass",
      "comments_2": "Note: the global area integral of SFLUX matches the time-derivative of total ocean salinity (psu s-1). Unlike oceFWflx, SFLUX includes the contribution to the total ocean salinity from changing ocean mass (e.g. from the addition or removal of freshwater in oceFWflx). ",

"name": "EXFempmr",
      "long_name": "Open ocean net surface freshwater flux from precipitation, evaporation, and runoff",
      "units": "m s-1",
      "comments_1": "Net surface freshwater flux from precipitation, evaporation, and runoff per unit area in open water (not covered by sea-ice). Excludes freshwater fluxes involving sea-ice and snow.",
      "comments_2": "Note: calculated as EXFevap-EXFpreci-EXFroff.",
      "direction": ">0 increases salinity (SALT)",

You see that oceFWflx  is the freshwater mass flux into the liquid ocean, SFLUX is a net salt mass flux and EXFempmr is freshwater "thickness" flux (m/s) in the open water (read: not sea-ice) part of ocean grid cells.

To understand how one uses these and other terms to close salt, salinity, and freshwater budgets, Jan-Erik Tesdal and others put together a very nice tutorial: https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/ECCO_v4_Salt_and_salinity_budget.html.  The document still needs a little polishing (suggestions welcome) but it is thorough and is a good place to start.

-Ian