[ecco-support] Stokes drift in ECCO2 product

Maxime Mouyen maxime.mouyen at chalmers.se
Wed Mar 10 04:03:31 EST 2021

Dear Ecco team,

Does it make sense to add Stokes drift velocities (wind-correlated drift of surface waters) to the ECCO2 surface velocity? Or does ECCO2 already account for such effects?

(I'm using these products: https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/ECCO2/cube92_latlon_quart_90S90N/WVEL.nc, VVEL.nc and UVEL.nc)

I read<https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2018JC014453> that the MITgcm used in ECCO2 "does not include representation of surface waves" but I cannot make clear if the ECCO2 products mentioned above are subsequently forced by winds.

Thanks for your help on this matter and for providing such useful products.

Best regards,

Maxime

----

Maxime Mouyen

Chalmers University of Technologyo

Tel: +46 31 772 5549

Onsala rymdobservatorium

Observatorievägen 90, 439 92 Onsala, Sweden.

----