[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Perturbing ECCOv4r4 run/relationship between xx_<VAR> and xx_<VAR>.effective

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 22 18:41:46 EDT 2021

Dafydd,

This is not the correct way to apply the perturbation to ECCO V4r4 for a few reasons:
1) The xx_<VAR>.effective is the dimensional adjusted field, including the first guess, so using xx_<VAR> would be double counting. Note <VAR> here are control variables for initial conditions (theta, salt, uvel, vvel, and etan) and mixing parameters (diffkr, kapgm, and kapredi).
2) The current V4r4 setup reads in non-dimensional control adjustment (xx_<VAR> files).
3) The model then applies a smoothing operator to the non-dimensional xx, and then rescale it to dimensional xx.

So one way to achieve what you wanted to do is to perturb the dimensional control adjustment and then let the model read in the dimensional adjustment without applying rescaling and smoothing . The steps are as follows.
1) Perturb the dimensional control adjustment for initial theta, xx_theta.dim.0000000129.data that can be found in https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/Release4/other/adjustments along with other dimensional control adjustments.
2) Copy the perturbed field to xx_theta.0000000129.data (You may want to keep a copy of the original xx_theta.0000000129.data for later use)
3) Make changes to data.ctrl by replacing
xx_genarr3d_preproc(1,1)='WC01',
with
xx_genarr3d_preproc(1,1)=' noscaling' ,

The part in data.ctrl related to xx_theta is shown below for before and after the change;
Before:
xx_genarr3d_weight(1) = 'Theta_weights_nonseasonal_rmsv2_areascaled.bin',
xx_genarr3d_file(1)='xx_theta',
xx_genarr3d_bounds(1:5,1)=-2.0,-1.9,39.,40.,0.,
xx_genarr3d_preproc(1,1)='WC01',
xx_genarr3d_preproc_i(1,1)=1,
mult_genarr3d(1) = 1.,
After:
xx_genarr3d_weight(1) = 'Theta_weights_nonseasonal_rmsv2_areascaled.bin',
xx_genarr3d_file(1)='xx_theta',
xx_genarr3d_bounds(1:5,1)=-2.0,-1.9,39.,40.,0.,
xx_genarr3d_preproc(1,1)=' noscaling' ,
xx_genarr3d_preproc_i(1,1)=1,
mult_genarr3d(1) = 1.,

Then you can rerun the model with the changes above.

Regards,
Ou