[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Question on ECCO velocity variables

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 1 12:14:00 EDT 2020

Damien,

“Geometry-weighted” means a variable is weighted by the fraction of a grid cell in vertical which is wet, namely hFacC, hFacW, or hFacS in the model. They are unitless, ranging from 0 to 1 for a fully dry and wet point and in between for partial cells. “Geometry-weighted” replaces “Mass-weighted” that was used in older versions, as the weighting is not in mass unit and therefore we decided to use “Geometry Mass-weighted” instead.

EVEL, NVEL, and WVELMASS are the E-W, N-S, and bottom-up 3D velocity fields. WVELMASS is just an alias of WVEL.

Cheers,
Ou