[ecco-support] Question on ECCO velocity variables

ddesbruy Damien.Desbruyeres at ifremer.fr
Thu Oct 1 09:42:59 EDT 2020

Dear ECCO team,

I have a quick question regarding the ECCO interpolated velocity fields
(Version 4 Release 4, interp_monthly).

What does "geometry-weighted" exactly mean ? I have also found some
other mentions of "mass-weighted" velocities in older versions. I am not
entirely sure to what they correspond (in particular when considering
the regular interpolated fields).

My aim is to use the north-south, east-west, bottom-up 3D velocity
fields. I have considered using EVEL, NVEL, and WVELMASS (there is no
corresponding WVEL) and I just want to make sure that these are the
variables to use.

Many thanks in advance for your reply,

Damien