[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Re: Change-of-variable formulas for adjoint sensitivities

Christopher Wolfe christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu
Fri Jul 10 15:47:00 EDT 2020

Hi Paola and Ircho:

Assuming I did my calculations right, it looks like it *is* possible to get the sensitivity to wind stress curl from the sensitivities to wind stress, at least in a (doubly) periodic domain. You can use a Helmholtz decomposition to write the wind stress in terms of its divergence and curl. The result ends up being the convolution of the curl of the sensitivities with the Green’s function for the Poisson equation. It doesn’t seem like the result depends on the actual value of the stress divergence. (See attached PDF for details.)

The problem comes in bounded domains, since you need to pick boundary conditions for the Helmholtz decomposition which, in turn, determine the boundary conditions on the Green’s function. I’m not sure what those boundary conditions should be, or if they can even be uniquely specified. So the problem may still turn out to be indeterminate, as Ichiro suggests.

Oh well.
Christopher