[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Reading input files for llc90

Fenty, Ian G (US 329C) ian.fenty at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 13 00:58:06 EDT 2020

Hi Spencer,

>> I was just wondering if anyone has code to open and plot LLC90 input files (the ones that are in the LLC native grid like 'GRACE_jpl_rl05m_withland_noNaN_2008').

The answer is definitely yes, and now there is an example of its use in the new tutorial “Loading LLC compact binary files”

https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/ECCO_v4_Loading_LLC_compact_binary_files.html

The key routine is ‘read_llc_to_tiles’.  It reads the llc compact format binary files in the ‘and converts to a numpy ndarrays of dimension up to [nt, nk, 13 (tiles), llc x llc].

The tutorial also shows how to convert these ndarrays to xarray DataArrays.

Another example of the use of ‘read_llc_to_tiles’ can be seen in the nice new tutorial that Jan Erik Tesdal put together on closing the heat budget:
https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/ECCO_v4_Heat_budget_closure.html

Look for the lines related to the geothermal heat flux.  The geothermal heat flux file is in the llc compact format.

Hope this helps!

-Ian