[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Request for a specific configuration of ECCOv4

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 04:49:35 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Yes, Paola's description is consistent with my understanding of the issue.
If we want to treat buoyancy flux and wind stress separately, then we
probably shouldn't use the bulk formulas, at least not "out of the box".
Buoyancy flux and wind stress are coupled through the bulk formulas.

This isn't an issue for most optimisation tasks or sensitivity studies.
It's more of an issue for adjoint reconstructions, for which it is arguably
conceptually cleaner to separate changes due to wind stress anomalies from
changes due to net buoyancy flux anomalies.

Thanks,
Dan