[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Request for a specific configuration of ECCOv4

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:53:23 EDT 2020

Hi Dimitris,

Although I could be wrong, I do not think that the potential double
counting issue matters much for the adjoint optimization process. As long
as the control adjustments reduce the cost function, then I suppose that
the optimization process will still work. Do you agree?

However, if we are attempting to reconstruct an objective function using
adjoint sensitivities and anomalies (e.g. Helen Pillar's work on RAPID time
series reconstructions, see her 2016 J. Climate paper), then the potential
double-counting could be an issue. I'm hoping that by avoiding the bulk
formulae I can more cleanly separate the effects of wind stress anomalies
from those of heat flux anomalies.

Best,
Dan

Dr Dan Jones / British Antarctic Survey