[ecco-support] ECCOv4 Python Tutorial updates

Fenty, Ian G (US 329C) ian.fenty at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Sep 21 01:49:20 EDT 2019

Hello ECCO users,

I want to announce that the ECCOv4 Python Tutorial “read the docs” page and ecco-v4-py Python library has had some updates.

ECCOv4 Tutorial Page: https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/index.html,
ecco-v4-py Python Library:  https://github.com/ECCO-GROUP/ECCOv4-py

Earlier this year we experimented with several alternative ways of dividing up the ECCO fields into NetCDF files.  We picked one of those alternatives and have now updated the tutorials to reflect that choice.  The main differences have to do with the file directory tree is organized and with the helper routines used to read and combine the NetCDF files.

At present, the Python tutorial and the ecco-v4-py libraries were written for the ECCOv4 Release 3 NetCDF files provided in the ‘Release3_alt’ directories

The ECCO v4 state estimate is now available in two places.

  1.  PO.DAAC drive (recommended): https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/
  2.  UT Austin FTP mirror: https://web.corral.tacc.utexas.edu/OceanProjects/ECCO/ECCOv4/

With the ‘Release3_alt’ directories found here:

  1.  PO.DAAC drive (recommended): https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/Release3_alt
  2.  UT Austin mirror: https://web.corral.tacc.utexas.edu/OceanProjects/ECCO/ECCOv4/Release3_alt

We are still working on improving how we distribute the ECCOv4 solution as NetCDF.  Specifically, we are adding more metadata, clarifying variable descriptions, removing extraneous fields, and using more consistent naming).  These improvements will be implemented in the ECCO Version 4 Release 4 NetCDF files (due to be out soon!).

-Ian