[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Data of Version4/Release3

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 2 12:21:40 EST 2019

Dear Anne-Marie,

The model uses a curvilinear lat-lon-cap (LLC) grid, and its x- and y-directions are not necessarily along the zonal and meridional directions (See the attached figure).

We provide the rotated monthly-averaged stress along zonal (east-west) and meridional (north-south) direction: oceTAUE (https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/Release3/nctiles_monthly/oceTAUE) and oceTAUN (https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/Release3/nctiles_monthly/oceTAUN). The corresponding variables along the native x- and y-directions are oceTAUX<https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/Release3/nctiles_monthly/oceTAUX> and oceTAUY<https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/Release3/nctiles_monthly/oceTAUY>. For sea-ice free regions, these variables are the wind stress. But for sea-ice covered regions, these variables are the stress between the sea-ice and the liquid ocean.

More generally, one can use the Matlab routine calc_UV_zonmer.m<https://github.com/gaelforget/gcmfaces/blob/master/gcmfaces_calc/calc_UV_zonmer.m> in gcmfaces to rotate vectors along the native x- and y-direction to zonal and meridional directions (or vice versa), as pointed out by Hong.

Cheers,
Ou Wang