[ecco-support] Question about the inconsistency between ECCO Version 4 Release 1 and the latest Version 4 Release 3

Adam Liang qi.liang.whu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 08:12:57 EDT 2018

 Hello ECCO groups,

My name is Qi Liang, and I'm a graduate student at Chinese Antarctic Center
of Surveying and Mapping, Wuhan University, China. Recently I was doing
some research on Antarctic glacier and its relationship with ocean forcing.
The ECCO ocean potential temperature products provided me great help.

The ECCO Version 4 represents the latest ocean state estimate of the ECCO.
Furthermore, the newly released  Version 4 Release 3 extended the time
period to the year 2015 and includes some additional improvements. But I
find some big differences between Version 4 Release 1 and Version 4 Release
3, as well as the ECCO2.

In the work of Li et al., (2016), he plotted the potential ocean
temperature in front of Totten Glacier with SOSE, ECCO_V4 and ECCO2
products, respectively. The potential temperature is averaged between 450 m
and 600 m depth, over a spatial domain spanning 115 E to 118 E and 65.5 S
and 67 S. The figure looks like this: (Figure S5 in his paper)

As you can see, although there are some differences between those three
products, the similar temporal trend of temperatures is obvious. However,
when I plotted the ECCO Version 4 Release 3 product with the same area and
ocean depth, it demonstrated a total different temporal trend, looks like
this:

It confused me and I've no idea which product should I use for the data
analysis. I was wondering if you guys could give some advice about that?

Thank you for reading my message. If you have any questions, don't hesitate
to let me know.

Best regards
Qi

Reference:
Li, X., E. Rignot, J. Mouginot, and B. Scheuchl (2016), Ice flow dynamics
and mass loss of Totten Glacier, East Antarctica, from 1989 to 2015,
Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 6366–6373, doi:10.1002/2016GL069173.

ᐧ