[ecco-support] questions about salt and temperature fluxes

Wang, Ou (329B) Ou.Wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 19 14:52:41 EDT 2018

Paola,

For v4r3 in ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/, both GM bolus
velocity and Redi diffusion are included in the DFx(y,r)E_SLT(TH) terms.
The geothermal heat flux (in W/m2) is in
ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/input_init/geothermalFlux.bin on
native v4 grid (90x1170, real 4). See
ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/doc/v4r3_overview.pdf for
details about how to read the file.

To convert heat fluxes (in W/m^2) to temperature tendency (Kelvin/second),
one would divided heat flux by 1) constant heat capacity (3994
J/Kg/Kelvin), 2) constant sea water density (1029 Kg/m^3), and 3) variable
surface and bottom layer thickness for surface and geothermal heat fluxes,
respectively. As a side note, Chris Piecuch explains how to close the
budget for v4r3 in
ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/doc/evaluating_budgets_in_eccov4r
3.pdf. You many want to check it out.

Regards,
Ou Wang