[ecco-support] ECCO V4R3 SSH

Yao Yu yaoyu.9404 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 03:00:02 EDT 2018

Dear EECO suport team,

  I am Yao Yu, a graduate student in China. I am writing to inquire about
the assimilation of altimetry SSH in the ECCO V4R3 OGCM.

 I am using satellite altimetry measurements, GRACE measurements and two
OGCMs (GLORYS2V4 and ECCO V4R3) to analyze an oceanic gyre in the Argentine
Basin. However, ECCO failed to reproduce the sought-after feature (~25-day,
~500 km) while the three others could. I am trying to figure out the
reason. I have read about the datasets used in ECCO (
ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/doc/v4r3_data.pdf) and then
Forgot and Ponte (2015) for details about altimeter data.

I'd be grateful if you can help to answer my questions:

1. Are there any spatial (except for the bin-averaging) and temporal
smoothing schema applied to altimeter data?  I don't think the nominal
1-degree spatial resolution of ECCO is coarse, however, ECCO's SSH look
quite coarse (comparable with GRACE, ~300km) in the Argentine Basin.

2. If the answer is no for question 1, then are there any possible reasons
that can explain inability of ECCO over the Argentine Basin?

Many thanks!
Yao