[ecco-support] Problems with tile orientation in UVELMASS/VVELMASS v4/r2 interpolated

Julius Busecke jbusecke at princeton.edu
Thu Feb 8 20:55:18 EST 2018

Hi,
I was looking at the velocity output in the interpolated files for ECCO version4 release2 (ftp://mit.ecco-group.org/ecco_for_las/version_4/release2/interp_monthly/), and I noticed the output looks quite weird,
and unphysical.

I have attached two pictures that show UVELMASS and VVELMASS averaged over time at a depth of ~25m ( I also checked depth averages and the same thing shows up).

It almost seems like the tiles of zonal and meridional velocities were mixed up or at least the direction changes abruptly (eg around i4 ~ 275 and ~650).
Is this a know issue? Or is there a suggested workaround?

I am in particular looking for a time and depth averaged horizontal velocity field from ECCO.

Thanks a lot.

[cid:BFCB1A4A-E0C3-48C7-B6EC-4FBEFB25B0FB][cid:F28E8672-E9CD-430A-B61D-9864AA8BB82E]

Julius Busecke, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Princeton University
Guyot Hall 408A, Princeton, 08544 NJ