[ecco-support] ECCO dataset(s) for the Southern Ocean

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at mit.edu
Mon Oct 16 13:50:26 EDT 2017

Hi Chris,

I had a summer intern working on a comparison between SOSE 2005-2010 and the latest release 3 of ECCO version 4 (it is work in progress/incomplete/in-limbo/perhaps never to be completed). The comparison was performed for the overlapping period, and focusing on a sector in the Southern Ocean (basically the wider Amundsen and Bellingshausen Sea region). My take-away from it is that it is definitely worth also considering the coarser-reslolution ECCO-v4-r3, which permits a useful extension to 2015 (at least in that sector it shows some merits and limitations of each, at least at a zeroth-order level). There is a presentation available showing some of the outcomes. Also a report, but which I don't have yet and which will be in French. Let me know if you'd like to see the presentation.

The latest ECCO release is available at
ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/

Cheers
-Patrick

> On Oct 16, 2017, at 12:45 PM, Matthew Mazloff <mmazloff at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris
>
> If you want to use SOSE I can help you calculate the budgets. SOSE begins in 2005 so you may also want to look at ECCOv4 which goes back to 1992. There are people on this list that can help you close budgets in ECCOv4. Others may suggest other solutions to look at as well.
>
> I am very excited about ORCHESTRA!!!
>
> Let me know if I can help!
>
> Matt
>

>> On Oct 10, 2017, at 3:16 AM, Wilson, Chris <cwi at noc.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Dear ecco-support,
>>
>> I am interested in calculating mass, heat and salt budgets for sectors of the Southern Ocean, as well as identifying their drivers (external forcing, internal dynamics) over seasonal to interannual timescales, ideally up to present day.  This work is part of the ORCHESTRA project (http://projects.noc.ac.uk/orchestra/).
>>
>> Ocean Regulation of Climate by Heat and Carbon ...
>> projects.noc.ac.uk
>> ORCHESTRA is a NERC-funded Long Term Science programme that involves scientists from many NERC Centres. This ambitious 5 year project began in spring 2016 and will ...
>>

>> It seems that the obvious flavour of ECCO to use would be SOSE, but would it make sense to use another ECCO dataset in addition?  I imagine that there are pros and cons for each of the state estimates.  I also accept that there may not be a clear answer to such a general question, but I would be very grateful if you could share a few of your thoughts please.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> ================================
>> Dr Chris Wilson
>> National Oceanography Centre,
>> Joseph Proudman Building,
>> 6 Brownlow Street,
>> Liverpool L3 5DA, UK
>>
>> Telephone: +44(0)151 795 4806
>> https://noc.ac.uk/people/cwi
>> This message (and any attachments) is for the recipient only. NERC is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the contents of this email and any reply you make may be disclosed by NERC unless it is exempt from release under the Act. Any material supplied to NERC may be stored in an electronic records management system.

Patrick Heimbach, Ph.D. | http://heimbach.wordpress.com

| The University of Texas at Austin, ICES/JSG/UTIG |
201 East 24th Street, POB 4.232 | Austin, TX 78712 | USA
FON: +1-512-232-7694 | Email: heimbach at utexas.edu

| Massachusetts Institute of Technology, EAPS/PAOC |
77 Massachusetts Ave, 54-1420 | Cambridge MA 02139 | USA
FON: +1-617-253-5259 | Email: heimbach at mit.edu