[ecco-support] variables of ECCOv4

Wang, Ou (329B) Ou.Wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 21 17:12:48 EST 2017

Hi Ying,

ADVe_TH and DFeE_TH are E-W components rotated from the corresponding variables on v4 native grid (ADVx_TH, ADVy_TH, DFxE_TH and DFyE_TH). To close budget, one should use the latter.

ECCO v4 uses 3rd-order Direct Space and Time (DST-3) advection scheme (see GAD_DST3_ADV_X.F and GAD_DST3_ADV_Y.F). In essences, the formula for advective fluxes is sum of u x theta x area of cell face, plus some higher order terms. DFxE contains the explicit part of all non-advective terms causing the temperature change.

Ou Wang