[ecco-support] products

Fukumori, Ichiro (329B) ichiro.fukumori at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 2 20:04:00 EDT 2017

Hi Mike,

In terms of spatial resolution, ECCO2 may be better suited for your
needs than V4. The nominal horizontal resolution of the model is
18km for ECCO2 and 100km for V4. (The 1/2-degree climatology is a
spatial interpolation of the V4 solution; it is not the underlying
resolution of the estimate.)

However, note that the number of observations and controls (i.e.,
independent degrees of freedom corrected by the estimate) employed in
ECCO2 are much less than those in V4 owing to differences in
computational requirements. This means that ECCO2 has more physics
than V4 does by virtue of resolution, but ECCO2 is less
constrained/corrected than V4 by the observations. Mesoscale
variability, in particular, is not directly constrained in ECCO2,
although the model itself permits them.

Regards,
Ichiro
Ichiro Fukumori JPL: M/S 300-323  ph:+1(818)354-6965  fax:393-6720