[ecco-support] Access to ECCOV4

Fenty, Ian G (329C) Ian.Fenty at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 10 13:19:32 EDT 2017

Guancheng,

Salinity transport by resolved eddies occurs through advection terms and by unresolved eddies through diffusion terms.   The specific parameterizations used in ECCO version 4 are described in Forget et al., (2015) and references therein.  Pay close attention to Appendix B.

Forget et al.,  (2015) ECCO version 4: an integrated framework for non-linear inverse modeling and global ocean state estimation Doi: 10.5194/gmd-8-3071-2015

Tracer advection and diffusion in the MITgcm are described here:
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node71.html

> Finally, i tried to compare with the location of different variables like SALT, MXLD, ADVx_SLT, and found that there is no regularity to establish their distance like a half grid and make sure they are in the same grid cell.

The geometry of the MITgcm is described here:
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node43.html

It may be also helpful for you to consult with the documentation describing the ECCO version 4 grid, geometry, and routines written by G. Forget to process the output on the native grid:
ftp://mit.ecco-group.org/ecco_for_las/version_4/release2/doc/ECCOV4R2_gcmfaces.pdf

The ECCO v4 state estimate provides all geometric terms required to calculate budgets  (length, area, volume).

Salt and MXLD are located in the same location (located at the “tracer” or center of the model grid cell) while advective and diffusive fluxes are located on the grid cell faces.

Each face of a grid cell has advective and diffusive terms.  Side faces have one advection and one diffusion terms.  The diffusion term of side faces is the sum of parameterized eddy transport by the Gent-Mcwilliams and Redi schemes.  The top and bottom faces have each have one advection and two diffusive terms (implicit and explicit components that parameterize to background mixing and convection.)

Doing budgets on the model grid used in ECCO is not simple because the grid is unusual.  One day we will perhaps have a tutorial.  If you are still having trouble after reading through the documentation then let us know.

-Ian