[ecco-support] ECCO model

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at ices.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 9 00:07:33 EST 2016

Hello Franziska,

the output usually provided with the ECCO solutions (labeled ETAN) is the Boussinesq sea level, i.e. a global mean steric correction (e.g., following Greatbatch 1994) is required.

Depending on which ECCO solution you are using, you may or may not need to also correct for global mean net water (volume) flux from P-E+R (precip-evap+runoff).
ECCO v4 uses a nonlinear free surface and real water flux boundary condition, and so *no* E-P-R correction is needed. Most other (especially earlier) ECCO solutions use a virtual salt flux boundary condition, in which case a correction would be needed.

Another correction would be required to the field ETAN if you consider ice-covered regions, where sea ice load displaces the sea surface.

-Patrick