[ecco-support] asking about ECCO output

Wang, Ou (329E) Ou.Wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 31 18:31:52 EDT 2015

Dear Ibnu,

Thank you for your interest in the ECCO estimate. Sorry for this late reply.

The two products are different.  The "version_4/release1/" solution is our latest ocean state estimate. It's description can be found at
http://geosci-model-dev-discuss.net/8/3653/2015/gmdd-8-3653-2015.pdf

The "snowwhite" solution is ECCO's Near Real-Time Estimate. A description of its closely-related predecessor can be found in

Fukumori, I., R. Raghunath, L. Fu, and Y. Chao, 1999. Assimilation of TOPEX/POSEIDON data into a global ocean circulation model: How good are the results?, Journal of Geophysical Research, 104, 25,647-25,665.

Among the three products of the Near Real-Time Estimate (cf Readme file), to study the budget, you may wish to work with the smoothed estimate; ftp://snowwhite.jpl.nasa.gov/data4/Smoother/.

The gsExtave file corresponds to the model's Evaporation-Precipitation in units of salinity flux. This model, unlike V4 above employs salinity forcing instead of freshwater fluxes to represent the hydrologic forcing.

Regards,
Ou Wang