[Dspace-general] submission, searching, and displaying non-dublin core metadata

Marvin Weaver mweaver at sju.edu
Thu Jan 21 11:13:25 EST 2010

I just got dspace 1.5.2 up and running.  I found where in the metadata
admin I could create a metadata schema for data not included in Dublin
core.  Now I cannot figure out how to use the schema in the xmlui.  I
would like to add it to the submission page, make it searchable, and
display it in a number of places.  An entry in the FAQ seems to indicate
that only Dublin core can be used.  If this is the case, why is the
option to create other metadata schemas included?  I've noticed some
discussion regarding using dublin core fields for other than their
intended purposes (and that it is not a good idea).  Is this the only
way to use data fields that are not in dublin core?  The last option
seems to be adding new elements to dublin core that are not defined in
dc.  Is this an OK thing to do?
What I am trying to do is add an author type of "SJUfaculty" to be able
to select only our own faculty when there are non-SJU collaborators
involved in a work.
Also, we need to do a large import so whatever solution I use needs to
be compatible with the batch input program.
Thank you,
Marvin Weaver