[Dspace-general] DSpace wiki migration project

Valorie Hollister vhollister at fedora-commons.org
Wed Jan 6 10:24:22 EST 2010

Dear DSpace Community,

After many community discussions and some limited testing, the DuraSpace
organization would like to propose migrating the DSpace wiki, currently
based on MediaWiki to a Confluence wiki. The migration would provide
more wiki functionality to the DSpace community, including:
* Ability to edit using a basic Word-like interface (WYSIWYG interface)
* Ability to export pages to Word/PDF
* Capable of supporting the DSpace manual natively to ease editing and
contributing
* Support for simple diagrams
* Better integration into existing DuraSpace.org infrastructure

In addition, moving the DSpace wiki to Confluence would also mean that
both the DSpace and the Fedora communities would use the same wiki
platform, allowing for more easily shared information infrastructure.

We are currently looking for repository administrators/managers or other
interested volunteers to help us clean up, reorganize and test migrated
wiki content.  Other tasks may include helping us redesign and
restructure the new wiki space. Your help will ensure the DSpace Wiki
receives a much needed facelift!  The project is likely to begin in the
next few weeks (exact date forthcoming) and last a month. We estimate
the project to take a few hours a week. Please contact me if you are
interested in helping out with the wiki migration project.

Valorie Hollister
Director of Community Development, DSpace Project
DuraSpace
vhollister at duraspace.org
Skype: vhollister