[Dspace-general] How to improve statistical data gathering and reporting?

Andrew Marlow marlow.andrew at googlemail.com
Fri May 15 03:21:05 EDT 2009

On 5/14/09, Mark H. Wood <mwood at iupui.edu> wrote:
> I'd like to start off some discussion of how DSpace can provide better
> statistics on its content and functioning.  Here are some thoughts to
> spark the conversation:
>
> o  "Statistics" is a broad and diffuse topic.  We will probably
>    identify more than one distinct area of focus.  What contributors
>    need to see is not what the site's providers and champions need to
>    see, is not what senior administrators need to see, is not what
>    sysadmin.s need to see, is not what Promotion and Tenure committees
>    need to see....

Yes, it is a broad topic but there is a standard for usage stats. It
is called COUNTER. The specs may be found at
http://www.projectcounter.org/index.html. This std is not ideal. There
is insufficient provision for internationalisation, for example. Also
the std leans towards the use of closed-secret-proprietary file
formats such as Micro$oft Excel. But hey, it's a start.

My DSpace has, for a given article, PDF and HTML versions. When you
get taken to the article page you pick which format you want. It would
be good if usage stats show separate counts for the PDF and HTML.
Also, for DSpace items that are books I have a separate TOC. It would
be useful to distinguish between counts for the book and counts for
the TOC.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

--