[Dspace-general] How to improve statistical data gathering and reporting?

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Thu May 14 13:03:33 EDT 2009

I'd like to start off some discussion of how DSpace can provide better
statistics on its content and functioning.  Here are some thoughts to
spark the conversation:

o  "Statistics" is a broad and diffuse topic.  We will probably
   identify more than one distinct area of focus.  What contributors
   need to see is not what the site's providers and champions need to
   see, is not what senior administrators need to see, is not what
   sysadmin.s need to see, is not what Promotion and Tenure committees
   need to see....

o  Different sites may well have different bundles of needs --
   different enough that one package may not cover both sets of
   requirements.  At least in the short to medium term, we may profit
   from encouraging several complementary approaches.

o  It may be possible to slot in more than one package within a single
   repository.  Maybe "statistics" should be significantly modular
   within itself.

o  There's a lot of good work out there already.  We may get good
   results sooner from contributions to some of them, than from
   an attempt to start from scratch.

o  There are excellent external tools, whether you want to produce
   giant all-encompassing reports or run simple ad-hoc experiments.
   How can we support people who want to siphon DSpace's observations
   off into SAS, SPSS, R, Stata, Excel, whatever?

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.