[Dspace-general] High performance Dspace

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Wed May 13 17:20:30 EDT 2009

> I would like some information on how
> Dspace can be modified for high performance, scalability and redundancy.
> We are thinking of a site that is robust enough to can handle 500
> simultaneous users.

Hi Yannick,

If these 500 simultaneous users are non-authenticated, browsing users,
you should probably look to reduce the strain on the Tomcat application
server and the database by using a reverse caching proxy.  Squid
(www.squid-cache.org) is the most common reverse proxy and can cache the
web content in memory and on disk.  If the caching proxy already has the
web content in memory (and it is fresh), it will simply deliver the
request without invoking DSpace. Two high-performance reverse-proxy
servers with large amounts of RAM should be able to handle five hundred
non-authenticated, browsing users without a problem.

If these 500 simultaneous users are all authenticated users, you will
need to explore Tomcat clustering, load balancing (specific hardware or
via Apache), and database clustering.  This DSpace wiki page is a start:
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Clustering

--Sam