[Dspace-general] GIS Files in DSpace

Guy McGarva guy.mcgarva at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jun 26 11:52:36 EDT 2009

Hello Sue,

We have developed a repository based on DSpace that deals with GIS
datasets in various formats including Shapefiles like you describe,
called ShareGeo.
We deal with these "multi-file" datasets by requiring all datasets to be
packaged into Zip files. The Zip files are stored in DSpace although we
also do some work during the ingest process to extract the bounding box
coordinates of the dataset and identify the format of the geospatial
dataset in the Zip file which gets added to the items metadata.

Some details:
The ingest process unpacks the zip files and extracts the individual
files that make up a dataset (e.g. .shp, .shx, .dbf etc. in the case a
Shapefile) which we then pass to another package (GDAL/OGR) to extract
the bounding box coordinates of the dataset which we use to
automatically populate the dc.coverage.spatial metadata field.

We have also integrated a Google Maps interface into the repository so
that the bounding box that has been extracted can be visualized on a map
background, and also so that users can search for a dataset using a map
interface.

More details can be found at:
http://edina.ac.uk/projects/sharegeo/Help/help_submit.shtml
although the actual repository is behind a login as it is only
accessible to the academic community in the UK.

If you would like more details please get in touch.

Hope this helps,

Guy McGarva
EDINA
University of Edinburgh
http://edina.ac.uk/

guy.mcgarva at ed.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)131 651 1708
http://edina.ac.uk/projects/sharegeo/index.shtml

Kunda, Sue wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Does anyone have experience submitting GIS files into DSpace? We have
> folders within folders filled with GIS files (mxd, sbn, sbx, shx,
> etc.) and I’m not sure how to handle them. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,**
>
> ***Sue Kunda*/ /
> Digital Production Librarian
> Oregon State University Libraries
> 121 The Valley Library
> Corvallis, OR 97330
> 541-737-7262
> sue.kunda at oregonstate.edu

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.