[Dspace-general] ICAL-2009 Pre Conference Tutorial on Virtual Referencing

Rajesh Singh rajeshzone29 at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jun 22 05:17:03 EDT 2009

International Conference on Academic Libraries (ICAL-2009)
5th to 8th October, 2009
Delhi University Library System, University of Delhi
Delhi, INDIA

Pre Conference Tutorial on Virtual Referencing
5th October, 2009

While the world is moving in a collaborative spirit, the libraries and their resources lead this movement with what we generally term as ‘CONSORTIUM’. The library world has been experiencing a sea change under consortium in terms of subscription of e-resources, collaboration in spreading the scholarly communication through OPEN ARCHIVE INITIATIVE, collaboration in the development of Open Source Software solutions etc. We are now heading towards library service for global community through VIRTUAL REFERENCING with a mix of traditional system of reference service and the ICT tools.
The Internet has radically changed the way our users access information. As librarians, we are adapting our services to meet this change and extending our service beyond our physical buildings. Moving our reference services onto the Internet is one way we can better connect with our users where ever they are. Virtual Reference provides a way to meet our users in real-time, via the Web.
This workshop will explore real-time virtual reference services, including a demonstration of a reference management service called Questing Point developed by OCLC and the Library of Congress.
Topics to be covered include:
Changing customer service expectations; differences between desk, phone, and virtual reference: what makes a good virtual reference librarian? best practices in handling the virtual session from start to finish; collaborative reference networks; evaluation and quality control; virtual reference in India: case studies.
ICAL-2009 opens the registration for the one day tutorial/workshop to be held on 5th October 2009 as a prelude to main Conference. Kindly register with delegation fee of INR 1500/- or USD 150.

For more details please visit:

http://library.du.ac.in/ocs
or
http://crl.du.ac.in/ical09

 For all querries and further details, please send your mail to :

                                          ICAL 2009 Conference Secretariat
Dr. S. Majumdar, Organising Secretary, ICAL
C/o University Librarian, Central Library, University of Delhi
New Delhi - 110 007, India
Phone - 91-11-27666034, 27667848 or 24682100
Fax - 91-11-27666034 E-mail: ical2009.os at gmail.com

With regards

 Rajesh Singh
Dy. Librarian