[Dspace-general] DSpace 1.6: batch metadata editing

Stuart Lewis s.lewis at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 18 23:47:24 EDT 2009

Hi!

Batch metadata editing was one of the top three features that was
requested in the recent DSpace 1.6 survey.

We have been working at Auckland University to implement a solution
which is now ready for comment.

Details and screen shots can be seen at
http://wiki.dspace.org/Batch_Metadata_Editing_Prototype

The system works by exporting metadata (for an item, a collection, a
community, or the whole repository) to a CSV file. That file can then be
edited in a spreadsheet application. Changes can be made to metadata,
new values added, and other values removed. New metadata-only records
can also be added, and existing items can be moved between collections.
You then import the changed CSV file. Changes are highlighted, and if
you confirm the changes are OK, the changes will be processed.

Please send any comments to me, and if the overall is response is
positive, we can look at getting it committed into the SVN repository
ready for 1.6.

Thanks,

Stuart Lewis

Digital Services Programmer

Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library

Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

Ph: 64 9 373-7599 x81928

http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz <http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/> /