[Dspace-general] Copyright for unpublished works?

Claudia Jürgen Claudia.Juergen at ub.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Jan 16 12:25:29 EST 2009

Hi Stan,

CC is a modular license system regulating the way a resource can be
used. It does not affect copyright. So placing a resource under e.g.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ca/ does not hold
information about the copyright. In this case you got to have additional
information as "Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner
specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests
that they endorse you or your use of the work)." in order to fulfill
this the user must have the information.

You got to distinguish between use rights and copyright. The copyright
owner of a resource can grant exclusive and non-exclusive use rights
(which might be distinguished print, electronic publishing, film ...) to
someone else.

Many repositories simply got a general statement like "All items in
[Your repository] are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved."
or
"Items in [YourRepository] are protected by copyright, with all rights
reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

So in repository terms your got 3 types of rights:
- the copyright (mostly stored in dc.rights)
- the rights granted by the copyright owner to the repository (stored in
DSpace as a license with the item)
- the rgihts granted by the copyright owner to users of the resource via
the repository. (mostly stored in dc.rights.accessRights)

Note that copyright law varies from country to country, with little
harmonization in IPL.

Hope that helps

Claudia Jürgen