[Dspace-general] DSpace evaluation

Stuart Lewis s.lewis at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 20 03:00:15 EDT 2009

Hi Mariano,

> I'm evaluating DSpace as a possible software solution for implementing an
> institutional repository for the institution I'm currently working for (
> Instituto Balseiro - Bariloche, Argentina - www.ib.edu.ar/
> <http://www.ib.edu.ar/>  ).
>
> I would appreciate anyone out there to let me know how is your experience with
> the software so far, what do you think are the pros and cons of this solution
> compare with others, what are its strengths and weaknesses, or whatever other
> information you think might help me deciding in favor of or against this
> solution.

Without knowing what your requirements are, it is hard for us to say if
DSpace will fit your needs or not. But here are some points about DSpace
that you may wish to consider:

 - DSpace is used by hundreds of universities as an institutional
repository. You can see a list of them[1], or see them plotted on a map[2].
There are more users of DSpace than any other open source repository
platform. There are at least two other DSpace users within Argentina:
Archivos de Neurología and Universidad Nacional de Rosario.

 - DSpace is supported by the DSpace Foundation[3] (now Duraspace[4]) which
provides leadership and support for the community.

 - DSpace development is overseen by a group of 'committers' from different
institutions[5] to ensure that it continues to meet the needs of many
organisations. There is a complimentary group known as the Global Outreach
Committee[6] that address the aspects of growing and supporting the
community.

 - DSpace is a constantly evolving platform. The current version is 1.5.2,
and we are due to release 1.6.0 in late autumn 2009. This will include
powerful new features such as an embargo facility, better statistics,
devolved community administration, and batch metadata editing.

 - Being a community driven effort, DSpace is always looking for new
contributors. If you want to become more involved in the community, then you
would be more than welcome.

These are a few of things that come to my mind. No doubt other people will
have their own reasons why they use DSpace, and it will be good to hear
those.

[1] http://www.dspace.org/index.php/DSpace-Instances/Repository-List.html
[2] http://maps.repository66.org/
[3] http://dspace.org/
[4] http://durspace.org/
[5] http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DSpaceContributors
[6] http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DSpace_Global_Outreach_Cmte

If we can be of any more assistance, please feel free to ask more questions!

Thanks,

Stuart Lewis
IT Innovations Analyst and Developer
Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library
Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Ph: 64 9 373-7599 x81928
http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/