[Dspace-general] Migrating data from MySQL

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Tue Aug 4 15:42:52 EDT 2009

Hi Walker,

There are several ways to accomplish your goal, but the most
straightforward method will probably be writing a script that connects
to your MySQL database, creates a folder for each item, converts your
metadata to qualified Dublin Core elements, writes the metadata to disk
in the format DSpace expects (dublin_core.xml), places the file
object(s) in the folder, and finally, writes a "contents" file
containing the names of the file object(s).  Once you have a folder for
each item in the format DSpace expects, you will be able to import all
of the items with one command (bin/import).

The next step will be to understand the DSpace import/export XML file.
I would start by exporting some items currently in your DSpace instance
(see section 9.5.3 of the DSpace 1.5.2 manual).  From the export, you
will see the structure DSpace expects and will see the details of the
dublin_core.xml file.

--Sam