[Dspace-general] Subscription email used default handle URL instead of our local URL

Fiona Campbell FCampbell at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Tue Sep 16 01:33:21 EDT 2008

Swinburne does not use  CNRI handles. Instead, we use our local URL eg http://images.swinburne.edu.au/handle/1111.1/590. The handles we use are referenced in the dspace.cfg & by the HandleManager.java variable getCanonicalForm.

Subscription emails (WRONG!)

      Title: Test for Fiona and Susan
         ID: http://hdl.handle.net/1111.1/3732

INVESTIGATION AND POSSIBLE SOLUTION

The simple wording of emails is changed by adjusting the email templates
in [dspace-source]/config/emails. We've done that - that is not the problem.

To change the argument passed to the template you must change
[dspace-source]/org/dspace/eperson/Subscribe.java
in sendEmail change

This appears correct as it uses our getCanonicalForm that is used elsewhere quite successfully.

emailText.append("\n         ID: ").append(
    HandleManager.getCanonicalForm(hii.handle)).append(
                                 "\n\n");

However, one recommendation I have found was to use this form instead:

emailText.append("\n         ID: ").append(
  ConfigurationManager.getProperty("dspace.url")).append(
                                 "/handle/").append(
                                 hii.handle).append(
                                 "\n\n");

This will use the property dspace.url as defined in
[dspace-source]/config/dspace.cfg to build the ID which is used in the
subscription email.

QUESTION

Does anyone else recommend changing the [dspace-source]/org/dspace/eperson/Subscribe.java?

What solutions have other people come up with?

Regards,
Fiona

--

Fiona Campbell
Systems Librarian ITS Information Systems
Email: fcampbell at swin.edu.au
Phone:+ 61 03 9214 8279

-----
Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.