[Dspace-general] Week 4: Bitstream types (Dorothea Salo)

Hugh Paterson III sil.linguist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:44:48 EDT 2008

True, but unlike stationary (paper based) media in order for a user to
"pre-view" an audio or video file they have to "see" multiple portions
of the file. With traditional media I read a paragraph or an abstract
and say this article is going to be worth reading let me download it.
but with video I am going to want to see if it is relevant or if the
quality is good enough. So I am going to want a preview function as a
user. YouTube offers this feature where a user can start viewing the
file from any point. For the system to load a full size preview and
then for the user to not download it seems wasteful in terms of
bandwidth.  H.264 has a great scalable features. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
   So why not automatically create a "preview" version when ever an
audio/video file is added to the archive? Sure. There may be people
who want the MPEG-2 file but there are people that will be served the
file who don't want that original file. Why not serve them an h.264
preview of the file and then also serve them a link to the MPEG-2
file.  Just like flikr.com gives users size options when they download
pictures why not give users a size option when downloading video/audio/
pictures in d-space?
- Hugh Paterson III

Hugh_Paterson at sil.org