[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] Week 4: Bitstream types

Shane Beers sbeers at gmu.edu
Mon Sep 8 16:42:06 EDT 2008

DSpace is, honestly, not good at doing anything regarding audiovisual
data types besides doing what it does with textual data - storing
them, providing basic metadata, and allowing users to download them.
While this is often good enough for textual data (combined with the
indexing of the textual content), it's essentially useless for an a/v
archive. There are a number of archival products both open source and
commercial that handle image data (I know less about moving image
data) in a far, far superior way to DSpace.

I do have to say that I don't necessarily look at this as a failure of
DSpace in some way, as I don't think working with image data was even
really considered in the design phase. However, no one working with a
large collection of digital images would even begin to consider using
DSpace as an archival platform unless they wanted to be continually
frustrated and have none of the features that one desires when working
with images, such as panning/zooming, photography-specific metadata,
lightboxes, and so on.

I don't know if developers are at all interested in providing better
support for a/v materials, as they would more-or-less have to
duplicate the features of existing, successful (and frequently
commercial) products (see ContentDM) to make me interested. I think it
would certainly be an advantage and an improvement to DSpace, but I
think there are certainly some higher priority improvements that need
to take place on the textual document end.

Shane Beers
Digital Repository Services Librarian
George Mason University
sbeers at gmu.edu