[Dspace-general] Week 4: Bitstream types (Dorothea Salo)

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Mon Sep 8 13:37:54 EDT 2008

If an organization has people whose focus is A/V production, then a
little help from them could go a long way.  And they probably also
wince at some of the stuff that people bring to us, and might like the
opportunity to help spiff it up.

For those who don't have a media department or can't call on it, maybe
the best DSpace can do is some ancillary scripts that package the
operations required to render such bitstreams in formats best suited
to wide use and long-term preservation.  I don't think we want it to
be automatic.  Some of us have a desire to archive both (say) the raw
MPEG-2 data for the sake of never losing anything, and a properly edited,
well-engineered, scaled and compressed version for daily use.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he