[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] Week 3: Good Repository Software

Shane Beers sbeers at gmu.edu
Thu Sep 4 17:02:13 EDT 2008

In order to follow your directions and answer before reading other
answers. Hopefully I have not duplicated many other responses:

In my view, good repository software should allow:
- Individuals to deposit materials in a straightforward and efficient
manner, as to encourage the use of the repository to the widest
possible audience. This requires more than just a customizable deposit
process, as issues such as user permissions and security come into
play. In my opinion, there should be some "dropbox" functionality so
the repository manager does not have to go through a cumbersome
account creation/approval process every time someone wishes to simply
start using the repository.

- The repository manager to easily manage the data being deposited
into the system. The manager should be able to do things such as:
* See a list of the last # deposits and the individual who deposited
the item
* Perform long-term data management to support the life of the data in
the repository, including viewing/sorting items based on their file
format (and version) to determine if data migration needs to take place
* Modify the metadata of a large number of items at once, or the
logical location of items within the repository without resorting to
working directly with the database

- The repository manager to be able to easily manage the users of the
system, by granting permissions to individual users that are both
understandable (instead of confusing terms such as
"COLLECTION_64_SUBMIT") and functional (for example, why can a
collection admin not replace bitstreams?)

- The repository manager to easily view a wide array of data on the
repository:
* unique visitors on a repository wide, collection/community wide, or
individual item basis, while being able to collect results on a day/
week/month/year/etc
* downloads of items with the same granularity as visitors
* which users deposited which items and when

- The repository manager to modify the look and feel of the repository
in a fairly straightforward manner, by having the ability to, for
example, easily:
* Change header/footer graphics
* Change things like text/box colors
* Modify which metadata fields are displayed in which layouts
(I understand much of this is possible by modifying code, but not
within the repository software front-end)

- Multiple types of data to be equally at home - audio, video,
textual, etc. For example, audio and video could be streamed and
playable from the repository directly, while textual materials could
be browsed page-by-page from the repository.

- Users to find what they are looking for with search results that
make sense and explain why their search resulted in the returned items.

Fundamentally, a repository should encourage users to deposit
materials and help them easily locate materials they are looking for.
It should allow the repository manager to easily manage data, users,
view information about the repository, and modify the look and feel of
the front-end. It should also be suited for the long-term storage and
accessibility of the information that is deposited. I feel that a
repository software should fulfill many (if not most/all) of the
requirements in the OCLC's Digital Repository Certification program.

Certainly I'm asking for a perfect solution, but that's what you were
hoping for, right?

Shane Beers
Digital Repository Services Librarian
George Mason University