[Dspace-general] Week 3: Good Repository Software

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Wed Sep 3 10:08:27 EDT 2008

*sigh*  following up my own post. *sigh*

I feel that good software should try not to do too much outside of its
core competencies.  This is why I keep whining about components.  The
more unrelated features you try to bind together, the fewer users will
find your "solution" a good fit to their problems.

A good solution to a large complex problem often boils down to a
collection of solutions to small, organic problems, a collection
well-chosen by the user or the organization, and different for
different users/organizations.  Components which each handle one
agreed-upon problem well and which are easy to bind together make this
approach workable.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he