[Dspace-general] DSpace 2.0 development

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Wed Oct 22 15:50:07 EDT 2008

Dear members of the community,

As many of you know the Foundation received funding from JISC, Hewlett
Packard, and M.I.T to bring together a group of developers to work on
a re-architecture of DSpace.  The need for this work was informed by a
DSpace architecture review board that assembled and made
recommendations. The output and recommendations made can be found  at http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/ArchReviewReport
.

A small team has been assembled, working close to full time, on re-
architecting the core of DSpace based on the recommendations outlined
in the above report.  The end goal is to have a more flexible, modular
architecture that can handle a wider diversity of data and associated
metadata and their relationships.  The team is being led by Brad
McLean, the Technical Director of the Foundation.  The development
team working on the core are: Mark Diggory(MIT), Aaron Zeckoski( U of
Cambridge), Graham Triggs( Biomed Central) and Jim Rutherford (HP
Labs).  This team began to meet this summer to start initial
discussions and began work on the project in September.  The first
meeting of the team was held mid October at MIT, and output from that
meeting can be found at http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DSpace_2.0.

At this time we would like anyone in the community interested in
following the work, participating in the discussion, and possibly
volunteering to code later in the project please join in at the
following locations:

-Follow the work being assigned to developers, their progress and be
able to comment and vote in jira at:  jira.dspace.org  You will need
to sign up, by supplying username and password.

- View the code in the sourceforge repository: http://dspace.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dspace/dspace2/

-Come see us at PASIG(http://www.sun-pasig.org/), Wednesday afternoon
November 19 in Baltimore, when Brad will give a presentation of the
2.0 work. (we also hope to video this for broader distribution)

-watch for Brads weekly email on latest 2.0 developments

The team will make a broader call for coding participation after the
first release candidate of the core DSpace.  We expect this to happen
in January 09.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact myself(michele at dspace.org
) or Brad (brad at dspace.org).

Michele Kimpton