[Dspace-general] request button

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 11:09:50 EDT 2008

Dear Klaus,

It is useful that you have tested and found that the U. St Gallen's
Alexandria Repository's Eprint Request Button produced no eprints for
six requests.

The best use to which this outcome can be put is to notify the
Alexandria Repository manager alexandria at unisg.ch that something is
amiss in their implementation of the Button: Either is is not working
mechanically (the requests fail to reach the authors, or the authors'
have not been informed of its function and purpose).

I also suggest you try some more IRs that implement the Button.
(Perhaps you wish to post to AmSci and JISC-REPOSITORIES to ask which
IRs have implemented it.)

The conclusions that this single Alexandria case study will *not*
support are either that (1) the Button itself does not work,
simpliciter, or (2) that authors don't want to use it.

I also don't understand the reply that "scholars are more willing to
send full texts when directly contacted": Is a direct email contact
not a direct contact?

 From decades of experience with reprint mailing I can say with
confidence that the Alexandria data do not make sense to me, and are
likely the result either of an incorrect implementation of the Button
or a failure to inform authors about its function.

Best wishes,

Stevan Harnad