[Dspace-general] Bulk Upload Facility

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Tue Nov 18 10:29:22 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 11:24:05PM +0530, Shashank Sahni wrote:
> Well, don't you think it would be really hectic to create a sub-directory
> for each song and then creating 2 files in each sub-folder.
> Please correct me if i am wrong..but I think manually uploading would be
> faster then uploading the songs..using this method....

For ten single-bitstream items as a one-time task, yes, I would say
that submitting each separate item interactively is probably easier
than hand-building a batch.  Using the batch importer in this case
would be better only as an exercise in learning to use the batch
importer.

If you expect to receive more batches of items, especially larger
batches, and the metadata will be already machine-readable and merely
need some mechanical recoding to be intelligible to the batch
importer, then it would be worth the time to learn on a small batch
now.

The reason for the directory structure is that you might have items
containing multiple bitstreams, and breaking the batch down into
subdirectories containing fixed-named driver files is a good way to
distinguish items without too much code complexity.  It's easy to
write up a little script which builds the batch structure from whatever
you are given, so long as you know how to decide which bits go where.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.