[Dspace-general] time estimates for newbies

Jody DeRidder jody at jodyderidder.com
Wed Nov 5 12:32:18 EST 2008

Hi folks!

   I've searched the archives and found some discussion on what is an
appropriate estimate for the time for installing and maintaining
DSpace.  I see that it varies heavily by the amount of customization.
On the FAQ pages I found an estimate for someone experienced with java
and database open source applications, who is only installing a
prototype.  But that doesn't give me an estimate for the average joe
installing a production system.

   We only want to start with one community, one set of materials, similar
to ETDs.  We will indeed have to integrate it with LDAP and set up
secure login pages, and may need to modify the metadata input template.
 I am hoping the programmer we hire will be familiar with Java, but
it's too much to hope that he/she will be experienced with installing
and setting up open-source applications.

  Anyone out there willing to give me estimates  (for set up and regular
maintenance/managment) based on their own experience?

  I would be grateful  -- off list is fine.

  Thank you!

Jody DeRidder
Digital Services
University of Alabama Libraries