[Dspace-general] Fuzzy search in DSpace

Vlastimil Krejcir krejcir at ics.muni.cz
Thu May 15 10:48:39 EDT 2008

   Hi all,

maybe I've just discovered something that is well known in the whole
DSpace community. I'm not sure if everybody knows that Lucene (and so the
DSpace) has fuzzy search. In my opinion this feature is not promoted
enough (or not promoted at all). You can use the fuzzy search by adding
"~" to query.

For example we have an item about the movie Spiderman. So the query
"spiterman" doesn't give us any results whereas "spiterman~" give us the
right item about the movie (and maybe more items depends on the fuzzy
search setting).

This can be use also for the thing I personally call "cutted of diacritics
search". Because it also works for words with diacritics (so "krejcir~"
gives all items where I'm the author even if there is only my surname with
diacritics ("Krejčíř") stored. It's not exact because this gives also
results which have nothing common with me. On the other hand why not to
use it.

For details you can consult the Lucene documentation.

hope this post might help

Vlastik

Vlastimil Krejčíř
Library and Information Centre, Institute of Computer Science
Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Email: krejcir (at) ics (dot) muni (dot) cz
Phone: +420 549 49 3872
ICQ: 163963217
Jabber: krejvl at jabber.org