[Dspace-general] breaking the business logic: initial-questions page in DSpace workflow

Ingrid Mason Ingrid.Mason at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Mar 13 22:01:52 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Apologies for cross-posting, but this may be useful from a general and
technical POV for DSpace users and New Zealand repository managers using
DSpace.

Just a brief explanation of what has been done here (and why)

We decided we had to 'defy' the initial-questions page in the default
submission UI:

1.	Does the item have an alternative title?
2.	Has the item been published before?
3.	Do you have more than 1 file to upload?

All three questions have an impact on the workflow, either by eliding
metadata fields (1 & 2) or altering the upload step interface (3).

Why?

We have chosen to use 'Victoria University of Wellington' as the default
value for dc.publisher for all the items in the repository, because
effectively we are either publishing or republishing material.  Under
New Zealand's legislation if you put something online from a server in
the country (or as an entity registered in this country), you are a
publisher and have obligations under other legislation.  We use the
dc.rights to record any rights related information about associated
publishers/owners.  We also have a much smaller number of participants
in the workflow, i.e. we haven't rolled out end user submission and much
of the handling presently is done in-house by 1 party (they handle it
all from end to end on behalf of submitters).  In other organisations
there maybe several parties in the submission workflow.

We struck an issue with having set up dc.publisher with the value
'Victoria University of Wellington' because if we didn't tick the box, a
conflict would occur (because of the default dc.publisher value across
all collections) and we would have to go in and add the field later on.
Or if we did tick the box the default UI compelled the user to complete
a date field.  I hope I've got this the right way around.

Anyway, none of these questions were useful for the VUW workflow and
hindered it in one case, so we 'broke' the business logic.  If anyone
wants to know what we did, please get in contact.  Otherwise, have a
laugh at what Con and I did to add a certain 'je ne sai quoi' to the
workflow.. by taking a look at an image of what we did to keep ourselves
(and others) amused.

Cheers, Ingrid

Ingrid Mason
<http://www.vuw.ac.nz/staff-directory/PhoneDetails.aspx?VMID=6844>

Digital Research Repository Coordinator

ResearchArchive at Victoria <http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz/>

Victoria University of Wellington

ph: 64-4-463 6844

em: ingrid.mason at vuw.ac.nz <mailto:ingrid.mason at vuw.ac.nz>

Location: Kelburn Campus, Rankine Brown, RB501A

- - research deposited in in ResearchArchive at Victoria can be found
within 1 day via the national research hub nzresearch.org and within 2-3
days via the search engine Google - -