[Dspace-general] Statistics showing downloads/views/countries

Andrew White Whitea1 at lincoln.ac.nz
Wed Jun 4 18:01:24 EDT 2008

One thing that concerns me about these statistics (and this includes the basic DSpace
statistics package) is that if they include "views" and "downloads" by search engines (Google,
Yahoo, MSN, etc) as I presume they do, then are they are not real "views" and "downloads"
at all. Looking at our logs, a very large proportion of accesses are from search engines, and
counting these as "views" and "downloads" would be very misleading.

Or am I wrong, and the statistics packages are (or can be) set to exclude search engine
accesses?

Andrew White
Lincoln University,
New Zealand