[Dspace-general] Upcoming conference sponsored by JA-SIG

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Fri Jan 4 10:57:59 EST 2008

DSpace Community-

The JA-SIG conference this spring is expanding its scope to include
participants and discussion around a number of open source software
applications/platforms used in higher education. The DSpace
Foundation  is participating on the steering committee to come up
with a compelling program regarding open source solutions for both
developers and Program/Service Managers.  For those in the community
who can not make it to OR2008, this would be an excellent venue for
the DSpace community to convene with others tackling similar problems
using open source solutions.

In addition to the conference I hope to have a few pre-conference
seminars specifically for the DSpace community.  If you are
interested in organizing a pre-conference seminar please let me
know.  The seminars are typically 3 hours long and focused on
training, installation, integration and the like.  I am also
considering having a 3/4 day meeting following the conference to
bring the Program/Service Managers together to discuss process for
gathering input from the broad community as it relates to software
development ,the roadmap, and services the foundation can provide.
Please let me know if you are interested in working with the
foundation to organize and chair the post conference meeting.

sincerely,
Michele Kimpton
DSpace Foundation Executive Director

********************   Hold the Dates!   ***********************

Monday, April 28th to Wednesday, April 30th
(Pre-Conference Seminars on Sunday, April 27th)
Crowne Plaza St. Paul Riverfront Hotel
St. Paul, Minnesota

JA-SIG presents
       HIGHER EDUCATION SOLUTIONS:  THE COMMUNITY SOURCE WAY

The program is being planned jointly by representatives from

DSpace, Fedora, Fluid, Internet2, Kuali, JA-SIG, and Sakai

The aim is to expose our respective communities to the
wide array of community source efforts in our field, to share
technologies across project boundaries, and to approach common
issues and problems together in the areas of planning, strategy,
software development, adoption, and sustainability.

Target audience:  Developers, designers, content providers,
administrators, faculty, planners, strategists, decision makers...
There will be something for everyone!

Watch for registration information and Call for Proposals
in January.